Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nelly Furtado, "All Good Things (Come To An End)"

   This week I am writing about Nelly Furtado and her song called "All Good Things Come To An End". Nelly was born December 2, 1978 in Victoria, British Colombia. Her parents were both Portuguese and were imported into Canada in late 1960's. Nelly's parents named her after a Soviet gymnast by the name of Nellie Kim. She has two siblings, one brother and sister. She began singing in Portuguese and performing it, at age four. Her first public performance was with her mother at church. At age nine, she started to learn to play instruments like the trombone and later she learned to play the guitar and keyboards.
   
   She started her singing career when she met Gerald Eaton and Brain West, who helped her get her 1999 record deal with DreamWorks Records. In 2000, the two men help her produce her album called "Woah, Nelly!" Her three international songs for this album were, "I'm Like A Bird", "Turn Off The Lights", and "..On The Radio (Remember Those Days)". This album got her four Grammy nominations in 2002. She ended up winning Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. In 2006, her she released another album called "Loose". This album ended up being very successful and went to number one in many countries including the United States and Canada. The songs on this album that made her succeed include, her first number one hit in the United States "Promiscuous", "Say It Right", and "All Good Things (Come To An End)".  I didn't start listening to her until she came out with this album. I liked her song "I'm Like A Bird" also, but i didn't know it was her for a long time. So when her "Loose" album came out, I thought I'd start listening to her. My friends listened to this song also, so they got me started on listening to her. I still listen to her songs on this album, because she hasn't come out with anything new lately.

 I thought this song was perfect one to writing about because I personally think sometimes, why do all the good things in life have to end? Well, this songs talks about that issue. In the chorus it says "Flames to dust, lovers to friends, why do all good things come to an end?" and repeats that again. I think those are some really good examples, especially, being teenager. Love is what we talk about the most! Whether its going good or its bad and it came to an end. I think just about anybody could relate to these songs lyrics. It's hard not to think about why good things end sometimes. But you gotta admit sometimes good things do come to an end, which sucks. But life wouldn't be interesting if there was not conflict. I think Nelly has become an amazing artist through out the years and she has done a good job continuing to succeed. I can't wait to hear some of her new music.This is one of Nelly's songs a lot of people probably don't know her for. So if you don't know this song or any of her songs, you should definitely check them out and see what its all about. Plus, shes a gorgeous Canadian girl, so why not see what shes all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment